Location: Remote, USA
Quartz is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our product engineering team. In this role you will architect, implement, and maintain functionality on qz.com and its underlying systems. You will also help mentor junior colleagues and help them grow as engineers. This is an ideal opportunity for a senior engineer who enjoys working in small, cross-functional teams, with lots of opportunities to shape the outcome of the features they build. Software engineers at Quartz work with designers, product managers, and non-technical stakeholders throughout the company to deliver technical solutions that meet the needs of our readers and the business.
All locations will be considered. Quartz has officially adopted a remote, work-from-anywhere policy for all employees.
What's the role
- Collaborate on peer code reviews and architecture discussions.
- Work with the CPO, Director of Engineering, and other stakeholders to set and follow a long-term technical roadmap that balances cost, scale, and business needs effectively.
- Leverage third-party platforms where appropriate, considering the build-vs-buy dilemma on a case-by-case basis.
- Architect and lead the execution of large technical projects, breaking the work into smaller tasks.
- Use frequent "cool-down" periods to pay off technical debt, research new technologies, and improve our processes and workflows.
What we're looking for
- 5+ years experience on engineering teams
- Experience building applications using reactive programming (React, Vue, etc.)
- Experience working on a public cloud like AWS.
- Strong understanding of Web fundamentals such as HTTP(S), DOM and browser painting, authentication, semantic HTML, and responsive design
- Excellent communication skills (verbally, over email, and via chat) with both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Experience with WordPress (our newsroom's CMS), GraphQL, React, and TypeScript a plus
We'd love to see someone who
- Generous with their time. You measure success at a team level, not an individual level.
- Advocates first and foremost for the reader/user.
- Thinks critically about the costs and benefits of building new features, considering user need, stability, scalability, business impact, and long-term maintainability.
- Comfortable translating non-technical problems into technical solutions.
- Likes to leave clear documentation to help your colleagues.
Quartz, found online at qz.com, is a privately owned business news venture witha mission to make business better. We believe the global economy must be as inclusive as it is innovative, align financial incentives with the needs of our planet, and elevate leaders who act with integrity, empathy, and foresight.
We look for team members who embody the following values:
- Boldness and creativity. There's an opportunity to build something new every day, and we always aim to produce great and inspiring work.
- Taking ownership. We experiment thoughtfully, challenge ourselves to uphold high standards, and leave things better than we found them.
- Users first. Communicating with empathy means making sure your message isn't just sent but received, and emphasizing clarity in our journalism.
- A more global world. Quartz was created for people who are curious about the world far beyond themselves, reject nationalist ideology, and believe that all cultures play a vital role in the global economy.
Quartz is committed to building a team that includes a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives. We aim to be a place where a diverse mix of dedicated people will want to come, to stay, and do their best work. We strongly encourage applicants who are people of color, LGBTQ, women, people with disabilities, and/or formerly incarcerated people, and a college degree is not required. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please let us know. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family orientation, marital status, country of origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws.
Quartz Media, Inc., is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.