Join The Ontario Digital Service (ODS) to design and deliver the future of government services.
People are at the heart of our mission to ensure that government works for everyone. Be a part of a world-leading public service, and help improve the lives of over 14 million people of Ontario, through our work using modern design, data and technology tools and practices.
The ODS is improving the online experience for Ontarians by redesigning the most important government services for the digital age. We own and support a growing number of public facing internet-era products including web content management, web publishing, online public consultations, open data catalogue and visualization, laws repository, location and mapping, search, API and more.
Help us scale impact across the public sector, tackling some of the most important challenges of our time. We work in multidisciplinary, inclusive, collaborative teams. We've been a distributed team since day one, offering flexible work arrangements, where big ideas and extraordinary people come together to drive change.
Bring your curiosity and build the future with us.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As a Junior Developer, you will:
- Support the development, implementation and maintenance of cost effective web technology solutions and services.
- Provide open source web technology solutions using agile development methodology to transform the online experience for Ontarians interacting with government.
- Research new and emerging technologies to support the development and implementation of forward-thinking standards and best practices for Ontario Digital Service work.
- Work with a high-impact team and constantly learn new technologies and techniques through research, experimentation and from your exceptional colleagues.
What you bring to the team
- You think digital by default and embrace new ideas that put users first to find the best solutions
- You believe diversity and inclusion helps create the best conditions for people to achieve the best results, knowing the best ideas come from everywhere and everyone
- We are looking for someone who is solution oriented, and knows how to get the job done
How do I qualify?
- You have experience in integrating systems and components using Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) and Representational state transfer (REST).
- You have familiarity with API driven solutions and transactional systems.
- You have knowledge of theory and principles of systems design and development to support the design, development, testing and implementation of systems solutions.
- You have experience in researching industry best practices to support the development of strategy and standards, and to apply them your work (e.g. security and accessibility by design).
- You have experience in undertaking and leading parts of complex projects of different sizes, ensuring alignment to project plans and best practice.
- You can work with management or colleagues to anticipate and resolve project issues.
- You have familiarity with code version control systems (Git).
Communication and interpersonal skills
- You have strong communications skills to participate in team discussions, make solution recommendations and document/explain work.
- You have the ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, to explain your ideas to colleagues, both technical and non-technical.
At the ODS, we recognize official qualifications and education are not necessarily the only way to gain experience. Your lived experience is valuable to our team.